Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

I have a DATE! Surgery that is.....

Today was my big day meeting the surgeon. I know this may sound confusing, but I walked out there 110% scared to death and feeling comfortable all in the same. Let me explain...
Wait, let me tell you my frustrations first. So, I get there at 10:30 for my 11:00 appointment. This hospital is huge and basically a maze. I finally found the place I was looking for and get signed in. The waiting room was full, but come to find out there were only 3 patients in front of me. The rest were family members there for their support. I went alone so that Larry didn't have to burn a day of vacation because he is going to need them for the surgery. So, I am there at 10:30 and they took 2 of the 3 patients back not too long after I sit. Then....the HOURS pass....YES HOURS! The one family was taken in not long before I finally was and they mentioned their appointment was at 11 as well. At 1 O'Clock they took me back. At 1:30 the nurse practioner comes back and then the doctor at some point. Needless to say, I was FINALLY leaving there at 2:30. I guess 2 people called off and they were just backed up. HOWEVER--I cannot complain because even though they were hours behind I never 1 time felt rushed. I felt like the doctor did a great job explaining to me my options and really listened to me. My experience was good. SO, if that is the reason that he was so late getting to me because he did the same for the patients ahead of me--I can't really be mad about that.

So, I explain everything I have been going through from the beginning and he tells me that I do indeed have Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction and gave me my options. 1. I could wait it out and try different meds, but because I've already tried a couple he didn't really feel I would benefit much from that. or 2. I can have a stent put in the Sphincter of Oddi muscle to prevent it from tightening up.
Now, comes the scary part....So, he is explaining to me that the pancreas is a very sensitive organ. When he puts the stent in he has to shoot a dye into the pancreas to make sure that there are no tumors and that the ducts are all working properly. By doing so this increases the risk of Pancreatitis.
Pancreatitis Definition:
Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas, an organ that is important in digestion. Pancreatitis can be acute (beginning suddenly, usually with the patient recovering fully) or chronic (progressing slowly with continued, permanent injury to the pancreas).
Then he proceeds to tell me that I am already high risk for Pancreatitis because I have S.O.D, I am a young woman (28), and I am a woman. He said that he can tell me that I am WORST CASE SENERIO. GREEEEEEEEAT! Here's the problem...and let me quote him word for word, "Jennifer, Pancreatitis can kill you". I immediately teared up, only because 1. My thoughts instantly went to the most wonderful 5 year old in the world. I want so badly to watch her grow up into the beautiful woman I know she will be. and 2. I am terrified of death. I know that he had to tell me this, but just his tone and the way he said it made me believe that since he had JUST told me I was high risk/worst case senerio (for pancreatitis) that he wanted to make SURE that I knew this. Which explains that when I told him earlier in our conversation that August 2nd I had an attack and literally thought I was dying, his reply was, "you very well could have been". I am assuming that this means that my attacks now have a name of Pancreatitis. SO, on my way home I am thinking, if Pancreatitis can kill me then there is a chance I could die with or without the surgery. My risk of getting pancreatitis is 10%, which he said IS high.
On a plus side, he did say that there is a study being conducted with a medicine that is having great success that helps prevent getting pancreatitis after the surgery and I would qualify 100% to get that medicine and that it is administered through my IV before or during surgery, (I can't remember). YES, I will partaking in that study. :)

After the doctor left the room I was still shaken up over the whole idea of death and I asked the nurse practioner if I got Pancreatitis if there is anything, (meds), that can be done to fix it. She said NO. The pancreas will have to rest and to do this they will keep me doped up, (not her words of course), and take care of me through my IV. No food at all. The doctor did mention that he has seen it last up to 6 days. HOLY COW! I can barely stand an attack for 6 seconds, let alone 6 DAYS! GEEZE! She did say that I.U. is the #1 hospital in the nation for this surgery and that Dr. Fogel performs this surgery 3-4 times each week. She assured me that if Dr. Fogel didn't feel he could help me he would not have offered the surgery as an option. That truly made me feel 100 times better. Had I not heard her say that, I honestly might have called between now and then and cancelled the surgery.

September 13th will be my big day. I have to be there at 10:30 and the surgery is at 12:30. It will last 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. After that, because I have to be knocked out completely due to the severeity of my attacks, I will have to go to recovery for an hour. THIS will determine if I stay or if I go....SO, if I wake up and I have an attack--boom, I've got pancreatitis, and I am his--that's what the doctor said meaning I stay. If I wake from surgery and I do well during recovery I get to come home. I have already made up my mind that I will be taking Monday the 13th and Tuesday the 14th off and then we will go from there. The fact of the matter is....I can't afford to take off work. Granted, after tomorrow we will be in a MUCH better place financially, but still, I will be putting too many people out as well.

I know that Heather and Donna both have things covered on their ends and have been ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, but Melanie doesn't really have a lot of options and she stresses when "feathers get ruffled". That's not really a good way to explain Mel, I just mean that this will become something that is sressful to her as well. I don't want to put her out either. Not to mention we have Bayleigh that must continue with school. My friends and family have all offered to help. I am so blessed to have such wonderful people in my life.

I would like to thank everyone for their prayers and I do ask that you continue to pray for me. Pray that all goes well and that Pancreatitis is not in my future. :) Please pray that after this is all said and done my daughter still has a mother and my husband still has his wife. :) Thank you for all your support. I will be sure to keep you posted.
Much Love,
Jennifer
**note to my readers: Larry knows about this blog I keep, but has not one clue how to access it. He doesn't do much on the computer other than surf the net for specific subjects and then he is done. In the event of something major happening to me--(which it won't, because I am remaining positive), someone please let him know how to get here and please make sure that they both know I love them more than life it's self. As Bayleigh gets older--please make sure she knows how to access this as well. :)

2 comments:

  1. Ok so I responded to this a few minutes ago but its not showing up so guess I messed it up.
    The tears flowed reading this blog entry tonight. I feel your worry and fear of the unknown. You are a tough cookie though and you will get thru this. You are going to get thru this and be so much better afterwards. You will get to make so many new memories with Bayleigh and Larry after this is all over. You are in my thoughts and prayers. If you ever need anything just let me know. I basically have the same schedule as she does so if you need help getting her back and forth to school just let me know.
    765-525-9149 if you EVER need anything

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwww! I'm sorry I made you cry. :) I appreciate all your kindness. It's friends like you that prove I am so blessed in so many ways. Thank you! If I need any help I'll be sure to let you know.

    ReplyDelete