Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Homemade Laundry Soap

Yesterday, I found a site on my iPhone called pinterest and stumbled on a picture of homemade laundry soap. To find the direct site I found my directions click HERE! I have heard of this before, but never gave it much thought. Lately, we have been pinching every penny so the thought of spending nearly $20 a bottle on Tide really had me thinking twice about my laundry duties. I made my first batch of laundry soap and it turned out great! AND!!! It was SO cheap! Here's what you do...
Mix 1 cup Borax ($3.36) + 1 Cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda ($3.24) + 1 Bar Finely Shredded Fels*Naptha ($0.97).
Use 1 Tablespoon per load in the washing machine.
The site says that this amount will wash 40+ loads of laundry.
I had enough of the Borax and Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda left to make around 4 or 5 more batches as well!

I store mine in this cute jar that I also found at our local Wal-Mart for $2.97.

I noticed that this detergent doesn't suds up like my Tide, but my clothes seem to be CLEANER! The Fels*Naptha has a scent to it as well, but when the clothes come out of the washer they don't have a scent at all. The site I found the original directions on, linked above, has comments that say you can use a bar of Dove or Ivory soap in place of the Fels*Naptha as well. I may try that next!I have used this detergent in both Hot and Cold water washes and it has been great either way. The soap flakes melt away in either temperature.
  
*Double Click To Read The Fine Print*

1 comment:

  1. It says to use just 1 tablespoon per load. I am finding that 2 tablespoons per load works the best!

    ReplyDelete